1930's 1940's 1950's 1960's 1970's 1980's 1990's 2000's 2010's The Beginning In 1931, in the midst of the great depression, an 18-year-old Richard J. Huseman builds a business on a reputation for craftsmanship and client care. He understands the value of hard work, money, and putting the customer first, and makes the decision to form the Richard J. Huseman Company. 1936 Richard had a saying, which is still used by employees today: “Do the job right, and if it’s not done right, then do it again.” Residential Work Throughout the 40's, Richard starts to make a name for himself and develop relationships all throughout Cincinnati. After the end of World War II, mass migration to suburban areas becomes a defining feature of American life. 1946 The burgeoning suburbs lead to a huge influx of residential construction, which becomes The Richard J. Huseman Company’s primary market during this decade. We Start Making Our Mark After over a decade of residential remodeling and construction, HGC’s work is featured in Better Home & Garden magazine in both 1956 and 1957. In 1959, Jimmy Castells starts with the company—he will be added to the legends board in years to come. 1954 In 1954, HGC moves into its first office on 3420 Ruther Ave. in Cincinnati. We Continue to Grow In 1961, Richard Huseman passes his philosophy and operations insights to his son Raymond, who joins the company. In 1965, HGC Construction moves to our current location on Stanton Ave. in Walnut Hills, allowing for an expansion of millwork facilities. 1961 HGC completes the historic railroad and train trestle tracks for the Cincinnati Zoo & Botanical Garden. Richard is standing at the far left of the photo. 1965 1965 marks the beginning of the annual Christmas event that is still held to this day—HGC’s Christmas on Stanton. In an effort to connect with the neighborhood surrounding the offices, HGC invites Walnut Hills’ families to gather for hot chocolate, gift bags, and family photos with Santa Claus. The Markets Expand HGC starts completing large projects in a variety of markets, including entertainment, retail, and places of worship. The Cincinnati Zoo & Botanical Garden turns to HGC for projects including an auto entrance, elephant house, cat house, and the Children’s Zoo. A Cincinnati Enquirer article claims that HGC’s Jimmy Castell “helped build the Cincinnati Zoo—literally.” 1978 In 1978, HGC renovated the Historic Vernon Manor, a hotel for the wealthy and occasional dignitary guests. The Beatles, Bob Dylan, and President John F. Kennedy all stayed at the 177-room landmark hotel. Ray Huseman's Tenure The 1980’s is marked by Ray Huseman’s tenure as CEO. During this time, the size and scope of HGC projects increase thanks to the highly skilled managers and labor force. Ray grows the company to the advanced operation it's presently known for, and takes on large projects. In 1985, HGC adopts Merit Shop Principles. 1981 From 1981-1985, we construct modular jail solutions across the country, including Ohio, Florida, Pennsylvania, and California. Gaining Notoriety As HGC grows, we gain notoriety and nationally known clients. HGC ranks #62 in The Top 500 Leading Remodeling Professionals in the Nation by Qualified Remodeler, and rank #18 in the Top 25 Full-Line Remodelers. HGC’s reputation for renovations and preservation continues to accelerate—in 1997, we receive the Cincinnati Preservation Award for Groton Lofts, Redfish Restaurant, and the Corryville Public Library. 1998 The company begins one its longest partnerships to date when it takes on Riverfront Stadium concrete work for the Cincinnati Reds. Since then, we've completed the Scout's Club, Team Shop, Fioptics District, and The Handlebar Club at Great American Ballpark. A New Chapter Begins A group of seasoned managers—including third-generation Mike Huseman—continue the HGC vision as owners beginning in 2002. They offer clients a full spectrum of construction expertise and exceptional attention to detail for each project. The year 2006 begins the long-time partnership with Graeter’s Ice Cream and 3CDC. 2006 HGC becomes an invaluable player in the Renaissance of the Over-the-Rhine neighborhood. In 2008, pioneering a new LEED concept when we transformed two crumbling buildings dating back to the 1800s into 8 upscale residential condos; our project was used as a test case by the U.S. Green Building Council. 2005 HGC acquires the American Bakeries Co. building across the street from our offices to make room for the ever-expanding company. This also allows HGC to reorganize its mill operations and form a cabinetmaking and woodworking subsidiary, Stanton Millworks, created in 2006. 2008 With the large amount of historic preservation and stabilization work being performed, it becomes necessary for HGC to create a new subsidiary, Structural Systems Repair Group (SSRG). 2008 The beginning of a ten-year partnership with the Cincinnati Zoo & Botanical Garden. One of the first projects, the $19.6 million Historic Vine Street Village, receives the U.S. Green Building Council’s LEED Platinum Certification. HGC Today In 2011, HGC affirms its commitment to sustainability and is named a Certified Green Contractor by the Associated Builders and Contractors, the first construction company in Ohio, Kentucky, or Indiana to receive this certification. Our work on the Cincinnati Zoo’s Painted Dog exhibit in 2015 helps the Zoo become the first to earn Petal Certification. 2015 is also the year that HGC Group of Companies becomes the official name of the three companies: HGC Construction, SSRG, and Stanton Millworks. 2016 Mike Huseman, Bobby Smyth, and Steve Shipp are named the three co-owners of the Group of Companies. Today During the last ten years, HGC has more than doubled in size, now employing over 300 people and entering 2018 as the 4th largest general contractor in the region with billings totaling $150.9 million, and #62 on ENR's Midwest 2018 Top Contractors.